Common Misconceptions Regarding August Semmendinger’s First Name.
Some online and print sources have historically listed Semmendinger’s first name as Augustus rather than August. This is partially due to the fact that his name often appears in print as “A.” or “Aug.” Semmendinger.
The following list summarizes evidence to prove August as the correct first name:
- The July 6, 1869 Manifest for the ship Columbia, on which Semmendinger emigrated to America, lists his name as August.
- A New York City tax document from October 1862 lists his name as August.
- The 1880 United States Census report lists his name as August.
- Each of his four patents spell his name as August.
- His obituary printed in Anthony’s Photographic Bulletin 1886 lists his name as August.
- The Certificate of Examination of Title in Fort Lee regarding his estate states, “Property of the Estate of August Semmendinger, Fort Lee, New Jersey”.
- Original receipts from the camera business have his full name printed as August Semmendinger.
- August Semmendinger (1906-1979), grandson of the August Semmendinger of this website, was named after his grandfather.
- There exists no primary source known to this author that lists his name as Augustus.